Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Motivation

How do you "motivate" a husband to do the things that you know he should be doing?

First of all, thank you for the question. I have thought it over for a few days because it is a tough one. I want to answer it in a way that validates you and gets you what you need, but also recognizes the truth. The simple answer to your question is-you don't. It is not your job to change or improve your husband. It is your job to love him always. But I understand it is a lot more complicated than that.

The first thing I noticed was that you said, "that you know he should be doing." It sounds like maybe you have an "agenda" of things that you think he should be doing-but does he know? Are they on his pallet of things that are important and matter to him? Because if they're not important to him, chances are he won't jump up to do them. Make sure that you are on the same page when it comes to expectations. If you think he should take out the garbage, for instance, he might have no idea. Even asking him over and over may not produce results. You may have to say something like, "In my family, it was a given that the husband always take out the garbage. This is important to me. Is that something you think you can do in our house?" And then respectfully listen to his answer. If it's not something he can handle, you may have to jump in and take some responsibility.

Also, I'm a huge believer in asking the question, "If he did/said/acted that way toward me, how would I feel?" This applies to just about every aspect of marriage. I'm assuming that you are a smart, well organized, hard working person. But haven't you ever had days or weeks that you aren't all those things? Sometimes don't you wish you could pull up in front of the tv with chocolate instead of tackle that pile of laundry. How would you feel if your husband came over and peeled the remote out of your hand and threw the laundry on the couch with a rude grunt? I'm guessing it wouldn't feel very good. So make sure that you don't do similar things to your husband. When you are at a dinner party don't complain to your friends and say, "Urg. My husband is so lazy. He never does anything around the house. Our garbage is always overflowing." I'm assuming you wouldn't feel too good if your husband said similar things about you.

Granted, these are just examples and I understand that there are more important things than garbage and laundry. Things like earning a living, or leading the family in church worship, or providing protection. I can understand that if your husband is lacking in these areas it can be very frustrating. But I still don't recommend trying to push them into change. Women so often want things done on their time table and in their way. But we forget that our husbands were capable and independent beings when we met and married them. You fell in love with him for a reason. Try to remember him that way. You probably wouldn't have complained about him doing these things when you were courting, so think back on those times and react with love and patience like you would have then. Perhaps this story can help you.

The bottom line is that the greatest motivator is always love. Each person needs love in their own way. Find out how your husband feels loved the most from you and then show it. Love him, serve him, speak to him kindly, and I bet you will be surprised at the man he becomes. I honestly believe that men want to serve and please us and be great men. But oft times their spirits are broken by a judgmental wife with too high expectations. I honestly don't know how you treat him. Maybe you are all of these things already. That's great! But I have found that most of us can always do better.

Please don't get me wrong. No one should ever put up with abuse of any kind. No one should put up with a husband that is demeaning or neglectful to necessary things. But I think these cases are rare in the average household. Give him the benefit of the doubt. He may be doing his best. If you really can't stand his behavior over a long period of time, then by all means get some professional help.

But honestly, I believe that the best thing you can do is lower your expectations, give him the benefit of the doubt, develop clear and honest communication, and above all-love him.

Feel free to comment and share thoughts. I happen to think my husband is perfect so I probably wasn't the best one to answer this question :)

Good luck,
Amy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the post but I still have some questions for you!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful reminder - it's not the easiest thing to remember when the little things crop up. Someone once said, "Expectation is pre-meditated resentment." Helps me keep things in perspective.