Friday, November 16, 2007

Motivation 2

This is along the lines of how to "motivate" your husband. How do you motivate/encourage/excite your husband to want to do things like scripture study, prayer, attending church without a pessimistic attitude because he has to walk to the halls with a child, fulfilling his calling to the best of his ability and not gripping about it. I try to be an example to him by doing all these things hoping that it will change him but haven't had much luck. Have even said that it doesn't seem like he wants to go to church etc... (granted that probably wasn't the best way to approach it but I just feel like he is disinterested in the church.) So all in all we want him to be the strong church leader that he can be. Can you help, anything would be great. Thanks Amy! (Hope this made sense)


Situation A)
  • It's time to get up for church and you go to wake your husband up. He doesn't move and grumbles at you. This happens 3-5 times and with each passing minute you are getting angrier. Finally, you are at church-in the back, 10 minutes late-and you are fuming. You don't get to enjoy church. And you have bad feelings towards your husband. Meanwhile, he is thinking, "Why is my wife so quiet today? Hmmm..."
Situation B)
  • The same events happen. Husband won't wake up, and you are late. BUT you don't get mad. You are nice to him and don't think it's a big deal. You wish you could have been on time and that not only would he have helped get the kids ready, but that you would have had a stellar prayer and scripture study before church as well. And that while at church he would have pulled out a notebook and started taking notes on the talks and wrote them a thank you note afterwards. But he doesn't do any of these things, and you are still nice to him. In fact, he even leans over to you and says, "Sorry we were late. It was my fault." You appreciate his apology, loop your arm through his and enjoy the rest of the meeting.
Now you may think this sounds silly, but trust me-it is real. It has happened.
You may not like it-but the same exact stuff I wrote for "Motivation" is exactly what you do in this situation as well-nothing. It's not your job. If your husband doesn't like church, and doesn't have a testimony, then I'm sorry. But you can't change it. You can't change him. You can only love him. You can only change yourself. You may have to let him have a bad attitude for awhile-a few weeks, months, or even years. But if you always treat him with love and respect-he will not disappoint you forever. This is true especially if you make it a matter of prayer. And not the kind of prayer that says, "My husband is doing things all wrong. I want him to do better and be better like me" Now you may not say those words, but the attitude can be there. Rather, pray like this, "My husband is struggling. He's not doing the things that I need him to do for my family church-wise. It's really hurtful to me and I don't know what to do about it. He is your child. You created him. You know how he feels in his heart. Please help me to love him the way that you do. Please help me to see and understand his heart."
If you pray like that, and then follow through with it-you will see big changes. I promise. But things take time....if you have babies to walk the hall with, then you are probably young. No one ate an elephant all in one day.
Hope this helps some. I honestly believe things will be okay for you. Despite everything, your husband really does sound like a great guy.
Good luck!
Amy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That post means so much to me. It applies to so many situations with children, husbands and just about everyone you come across. I now have a better understanding. Thank you!!! you are very wise and I can tell you think these things through.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!!! It is hard to admit that you can't do something for everything. I have a hard time doing "nothing" but I guess that is something that I need to work on!