Thursday, August 14, 2008

Caught in the Middle

Dear Amy,

I been having this problem with myself going to church and my family. See I'm the only person in my family who is LDS and I go to church and church activites. But the past couple weeks people in my ward want me to try to get my parents involved in the church. When they've told me the don't and every since I started going to church my parents are fighting all the time and are thinking of spliting up. So I'm thinking that going to church is tearing my family apart. Any Advice?

If your parents are going to split up, they are going to split up and it won't have anything to do with you or whether or not you go to church. You need to do what feels right in your heart. If you talk with your parents and let them know how concerned you are about this, I'm sure they will reassure you.
It would be great if your parents shared your beliefs, but if they don't-they can and should still be supportive to yours. Talk to them about the expectations that you have-do you need rides to church and do you need them to go with you?
The best thing I would have to say is make sure you have a conversation with them. It might not change anything, but I'm guessing it will make you feel better.

Good luck,
Amy

No comments: